Re: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23]

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:27:30 +0200 Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > but ... that's system-wide, and the 'dont baloon the dcache' is only a
> > > property of updatedb.
> >
> > Sure, but it's practical, isn't it?  Who runs (and cares about)
> > vfs-intensive workloads during their wee-small-hours updatedb run?
>
> there's another side-effect: it likely results in the zapping of
> thousands of dentries that were cached nicely before. So we might
> exchange 'all my apps are swapped out' experience with 'all file access
> is slow'. The latter is _probably_ still an improvement over the
> balooning, but i'm not sure.

Yup.  Nobody has begun to think about preserving dcache/icache across load
shifts yet, afaik.  Hard.

> What we _really_ want is an updatedb that
> does not disturb the dcache.

Well.  Hopefully this time next year you can prep a 16MB container and toss
your updatedb inside that.  Maybe set its peak disk bandwidth utilisation
too.  However that won't work ;) because I don't think anyone is looking
at containerisation of vfs cache memory yet.  Perhaps full-on openvz has it,
dunno.

But updatedb is a special case, because it is so vfs-intensive.  For lots
of other workloads (those which use heaps of pagecache), resource
management via containerisation will work nicely.