Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

Andi Kleen wrote:
One simple way to fix this would be to implement a fadvise() flag
that puts the dentry/inode on a "soon to be expired" list if there
are no other references. Then if a dentry allocation needs more
memory try to reuse dentries from that list (or better queue) first. Any other
access will remove the dentry from the list.
Disadvantage would be that the userland would need to be patched,
but I guess it's better than adding very dubious heuristics to the
kernel.

Are you going to change every single large memory application in the world? As I wrote before, it is *not* about updatedb, but about all applications that use a lot of memory, and then terminate.

Frank