Re: [patch 00/10] [RFC] SLUB patches for more functionality, performance and maintenance

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, David Miller wrote:

> As Andi seemed to imply I don't even think cmpxchg is faster than
> interrupt enable/disable on current generation AMD x86_64 chips, so
> are you targetting this optimization solely at Intel x86 Core Duo
> 32-bit chips?  That's the only one I can see which will benefit from
> this.  Are you going to probe the cpu sub-type and patch SLUB?

Not sure. The numbers I have seen in the papers indicate a potential
speedup by a factor of 10 on x86 hardware. I have not done any
benchmarking myself yet.

> Please reconsider this change, thanks.

This is an RFC after all so nothing is fixed yet. Certainly I will keep
this in mind.