Re: any value to "NORET_TYPE" macro?

On 5/24/07, Krzysztof Halasa <[email protected]> wrote:
"Satyam Sharma" <[email protected]> writes:

> Actually there's another thing :-) The __attribute__((xxx)) must go with the
> function _declarations_ (and not the implementations/definitions). I noticed
> after my previous mail that most of the double annotations are actually in
> the case of the _declarations_ of these non-returning functions, whereas
> most of the single-occurrences of NORET_TYPE were in the function
> definitions, which means your patch that simply got rid of NORET_TYPE
> actually ended up doing exactly the right thing that we wanted :-)

Only half of it. Half of right thing is (here) a bad thing.

NORET_TYPE does not do any harm.
Removing it removes pointers to attrib((noreturn)) candidates.
Simple.

NORET_TYPE didn't do any harm because it expanded to /**/. But yes,
removing it does remove the annotations / markers for ATTRIB_NORET
candidates, as I first mentioned to Rday.

But later on going through the code, I noticed that:

1. Most of the combined occurrences of NORET_TYPE along with
ATTRIB_NORET were in function _declarations_. So here, what
we want is to simply remove the NORET_TYPE, and *not* replace
it with ATTRIB_NORET, because it's already there!

2. Most of the single-occurrences (NORET_TYPE alone, without any
ATTRIB_NORET) were in function _implementations_. So here, what
we want is to simply remove the NORET_TYPE, and *not* introduce
any ATTRIB_NORET, because it's not required!

In such a situation, merging a patch that simply gets rid of
NORET_TYPE (i.e. s/NORET_TYPE//) actually ends up doing the
right thing!

... *however* ... as I mentioned next, unfortunately the above 2 points
did not hold for _all_ occurrences of NORET_TYPE. There were
some exceptions (which also I mentioned) where we want to do
somethings slightly more complicated, so I put the ball in Rday's
court -- he had originally expressed a wish to avoid doing complicated
things in this patch.