Re: Linux 2.6.22-rc1

On May 15 2007 08:32, Satyam Sharma wrote:
> On 5/15/07, Stefan Richter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tilman Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> except when it doesn't.

Blame CONFIG_EMBEDDED!

>> If menuconfig isn't used with strict discipline, we end up with
>> inconsistent and misleading presentation of the kernel configuration.
>
> Yes, this really requires discipline on the part of those who add new
> config options, to also "depends on" the menuconfig they're inside,
> otherwise we end up with inconsistencies. We can't really make this
> automatic, or can we?

Well more or less yes. Instead of adding 'depends on' on every subconfig
object, just wrap the whole thing into an if block:

	menuconfig FOOBAR

	if FOOBAR

	config FOO

	config BAR

	endif # FOOBAR

Since this is still edgy, an implicit if-endif block could be added as
part of the menuconfig. Sort of like the old menu:

	menuconfig FOOBAR

	config FOO

	config BAR

	endmenu

Robert P.J. Day had some solid ideas about this.

	Jan