Re: Linux 2.6.22-rc1

On 5/15/07, Stefan Richter <[email protected]> wrote:
Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 14.05.2007 22:33 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
>>   * Disabling this menu disables all the fluff inside it,

except when it doesn't.

> Another essential piece of information. I seem to remember other
> menus which, when disabled, kept the selection status of the
> options inside and just hid them from view.

It's a matter of /dependence/ on a menuconfig option whether options
inside the menu will be disabled.  Not a matter of being located in the
menu.

Yeah, this is a good solution -- making options inside a menuconfig
also dependent on it makes sense.

If menuconfig isn't used with strict discipline, we end up with
inconsistent and misleading presentation of the kernel configuration.

Yes, this really requires discipline on the part of those who add new
config options, to also "depends on" the menuconfig they're inside,
otherwise we end up with inconsistencies. We can't really make this
automatic, or can we?