Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

On Sunday 28 May 2006 03:27, Jon Smirl wrote:

> > > It may cause problems for some embedded people but I wouldn't worry
> > > about them right now. If they don't like something I'm sure we'll hear
> > > from them. Most people don't go to the expense of putting a DRM
> > > capable chip into a system and then not use all of its capabilities.
> > > Remember, only 8 out of the 60 fbdev drivers have DRM modules.
> > >
> > > Worst thing that can happen is that they lose 50K of memory. Don't
> > > spend a lot of effort worrying about this especially if no one is
> > > complaining. Issues like this can be addressed later.
> >
> > Yes, however, I don't think a lot of embedded people are putting DRM
> > capable chips in their machines. And I will worry about that at all
> > points, to great length - I will actually fight to keep a complete merger
> > from happening. For exactly the reasons I stated above.
>
> For a specific DRM chip there are currently four modules:
> fbdev-core
> fbdev-chip depends on fbdev-core
> drm-core
> drm-chip depends on drm-core
> RIght now drm and fbdev can be loaded independently.
>
> I would always keep fbdev-core and drm-core as separate modules.  But
> drm-core may become dependent on fbdev-core.

yeah, that could work. Have fbdev-core handle all PCI interactions and
drm-core uses those functions.

> So after merging, drivers without DRM would still load exactly what
> they load today. They wouldn't need to load the dependent drm-core
> module. These non-DRM modules are essentially unchanged.
> fbdev-core
> fbdev-chip depends on fbdev-core
>
> Merged DRM drivers can end up in one of two configurations
> fbdev-core
> fbdev-chip depends on fbdev-core
> drm-core depends on fbdev-core
> drm-chip depends on fbdev-chip, drm-core, fbdev-core

Not exactly. drm-chip would depend on fbdev-chip and drm-core, which both
depend on fbdev-core -- not a direct dependency. However, the layering model
you present would likely keep the embedded people happy. Provided the
drm-chip and fbdev-chip interfaces are kept seperate. Such a seperation need
only hold true for the current generation of fbdev drivers. New drivers added
at a later date could be unified drm/fbdev-chip modules or split, as the
creator determines.

> fbdev-core
> drm-core depends on fbdev-core
> merged-chip depends on drm-core, fbdev-core
>
> I'm saying don't worry too much if it is more efficient to create
> merged-chip for somthing like the Radeon instead of keeping fbdev-chip
> and drm-chip. It is more important to get a stable functioning driver
> working. If someone really complains the driver can be broken back up
> at a later date (they can always use the old fbdev driver in the
> meanwhile). If you spend all of your time worrying about 10K of memory
> for some embedded system that may or may not use the driver, you won't
> be spending enough time on getting the basic driver right.

Okay. That works. I wasn't going to worry about the embedded stuff, so much as
try to keep a clean division of things so stuff the embedded people don't
need isn't used.

> In the new model you won't be able to load standalone DRM. That's
> becuase both of those modules are now dependent on their fbdev counter
> parts.
> drm-core - standalone disallowed
> drm-chip - standalone disallowed

DRH