Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

>> Without specifying a design here are a few requirements I would have:
>>
>> 1) The kernel subsystem should be agnostic of the display server. The
>> solution should not be X specific. Any display system should be able
>> to use it, SDL, Y Windows, Fresco, etc...
>
> of course, but that doesn't mean it can't re-use X's code, they are
> the best drivers we have. you forget everytime that the kernel fbdev
> drivers aren't even close, I mean not by a long long way apart from
> maybe radeon.

matroxfb is clearly better than the X driver. atyfb too IMO.

Okay maybe matroxfb, but if atyfb is the mach64, it really isn't as
good, the last few times I tried it, it just made my LCD bloom, X
worked, mach64 is probably the most complex thing as there must be at
least 15 variations on the theme.... mach64 isn't a chip family so
much as a chip tribe... I've since burned my mach64 as a sacrifice....

Dave.

--
Ville Syrjälä
[email protected]