Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

This is actually over my head, but would it be possible to dynamically
switch between two drivers by saving and restoring whole context, much
like in suspend-resume process?

Lowest layer of fbdev/DRM would control basic PCI/memory management
and load/unload appropriate (module) driver, so we could safely switch
between different hardware management (driver) policies. Or I'm just
to fancy?

On 5/31/06, Ondrej Zajicek <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 07:21:11AM +0800, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
> > 2) To modify appropriate fbdev drivers to not do mode change at startup.
> >    Fill fb_*_screeninfo with appropriate values for text mode instead.
>
> Most drivers do not change the mode at startup.  Do not load fbcon, and
> you will retain your text mode even if a framebuffer is loaded.

Yes, but i wrote about _using_ fbcon and fbdev without mode change.

> > 3) (optional) To modify appropriate fbdev drivers to be able to switch
> >    back from graphics mode to text mode.
>
> And a few drivers already do that, i810fb and rivafb.  Load rivafb or i810fb,
> switch to graphics mode, unload, and you're back to text mode.

I though about being able to explicitly change mode from graphics to text
(for example when fbdev-only X switch to fbcon) while using fbdev.

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Ondrej 'SanTiago' Zajicek (email: [email protected], jabber: [email protected])