Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

On 5/30/06, Ondrej Zajicek <[email protected]> wrote:
On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 10:40:20AM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> as a long time linux user I tend to not to use the framebuffer, but
> instead use the standard vga text drivers (with X and sometimes dri/drm).
>
> in part this dates back to my early experiances with the framebuffer code
> when it was first introduced, but I still find that the framebuffer is not
> as nice to use as the simpler direct access for text modes. and when I
> start X up it doesn't need a framebuffer, so why suffer with the
> performance hit of the framebuffer?

Many users want to use text mode for console. But this request is not
in contradiction with fbdev and fbcon. It just requires to do some work:

My thoughts are mixed on continuing to support text mode for anything
other than initial boot/install. Linux is all about multiple languages
and the character ROMs for text mode don't support all of these
languages. Moving towards only bitmapped consoles means that all the
Unicode languages can be made available with a standard API. This is
an area that deserves more discussion.

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]