Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

On 5/28/06, Daniel Stone <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 08:59:19PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 5/28/06, Dave Airlie <[email protected]> wrote:
> >c) Lots of distros don't use fbdev drivers, forcing this on them to
> >use drm isn't an option.
>
> Why isn't this an option? Will the distros that insist on continuing
> to ship three conflicting video drivers fighting over a single piece
> of hardware please stand up and be counted? Distros get new drivers
> all the time, why will this be any different?

Often they flat-out don't work.  Walk into a store and buy a random
laptop.  Odds are it uses an Intel graphics chip.  Now load intelfb on
this.  Watch it completely fail to set a mode, as intelfb has no
knowledge beyond what the CRTC was like on i810.

If you read the whole thread you will see that we're only talking
about binding the existing DRM and fbdev drivers together. I believe I
said "This is just the first step down a long path to making the
merged drivers work." We can talk all we want be forward progress
never seems to happen - we have to start somewhere.

The support offered by fbdev drivers is laughable in comparison to the
support offered by X drivers.  If you're lucky, it fails cleanly.  If
not, you're silently failing to get a working display.

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]