Re: Development tree, PLEASE?

Willy Tarreau wrote:

Given the past
experience of 2.4 and the time I can spend on kernel work, I would
not even consider basing anything on 2.6 before something like 2.6.20-25,
when it will hopefully settle down a bit.

Unfortunately there are many times when this simply isn't an option. I'm currently working on boards that simply are not supported on 2.4. Thus either we need to track 2.6, or else we need to pay someone to do it for us and hope they do a good job.

Of course what actually happens is that you pick a kernel version (hopefully you pick well) and then backport fixes. Upgrading continuously simply isn't an option, as we have multiple vendors providing BSPs, drivers, patches, etc. and they're all supported only for that specific kernel version. We can really only upversion the kernel once a year or so, if that often.

Chris