Re: Development tree, PLEASE?

--On January 20, 2006 4:40:50 PM -0500 Doug McNaught <[email protected]> wrote:

Michael Loftis <[email protected]> writes:

I think the four digit bugfix only stuff is an excellent step, and
necessary.  But the thing that I need more is stable APIs (both
userland and kernel, and at the kernel<->userland interface) *with*
bugfixes and (hopefully with) trivial hardware support update
backports, like the replacement e1000 driver.  And I guess I shouldn't
say 'I' need, but colleagues need.  And it's not just one company or
one project or one client/customer.  And not all the issues are the
same, but they come back to needing somewhere that's kept 'dusted off'
but not rearranged (too?) regularly.

The point is that this is hard work, and not very interesting.
Commercial distro vendors pay people to do it.  If you want a similar
community effort, but you're not prepared to invest time, money, or
leadership, well, too bad.

It sounds like that's what it's coming down to. I'm willing to I just as anyone, need to be careful not to bite off too much. And right now this sounds like it might be.

And your desire for such a project to be "blessed" makes no sense.
Create your fork, maintain it, and see who else wants to use it.  If
it gets enough users and stays useful, I'm sure that it can be hosted
on kernel.org -- that's really the only kind of "blessing" that there
is.

Remember that the people who maintained 2.2 and 2.4 as "stable"
kernels volunteered to do it and put a *lot* of time into it.  It
didn't just magically happen.

I know, and I'm incredibly grateful for that. Heck up until just a year ago there was a 2.2.x box in the corner at home. Heroic effort on those persons parts.