Re: reiser4 plugins

David Masover <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Weinehall wrote:

> >> Than what?  Creating a unified VFS which I can access from Bash,
> >> and which obsoletes both GNOME and KDE's VFSes except in their
> >> presentation?

> > On one of the platforms that they support, yes.  But only for kernels
> > newer than 2.6.yy...  So they'd still have to have their own VFS for
> > 2.4.xx, 2.6.xx (xx < yy), FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, etc...

> Right.  But, /proc started somewhere, didn't it?

Sun.

> I have the feeling that other systems will duplicate it if it's good.

Linux copied here.

> Even if they don't, it would be more beneficial to me

How, exactly?

Besides, /your/ convenience isn't the only thing that matters...

>                                                       and probably
> most Linux users

"Most Linux users" don't use experimental filesystems at all...

>                  to have metafs supported in both GNOME and KDE, even
> if they still need an emulation layer to support other systems.

So Gnome and KDE get larger (and thus slower) for everybody. Besides, Gnome
and KDE will have to agree on the formats involved first, which is /exactly/
what is supposed to be impossible unless this stuff is implemented in the
kernel...