Re: reiser4 plugins

Horst von Brand wrote:
David Masover <[email protected]> wrote:

David Weinehall wrote:

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:08:58AM -0500, David Masover wrote:

David Weinehall wrote:

GNOME and KDE run on operating systems that run other kernels than
Linux, hence they have to implement their own userland VFS anyway.
Adding this to the Linux kernel won't help them one bit, unless
we can magically convince Sun to add it to Solaris, all different
BSD:s to add it to their kernels, etc.  Not going to happen.
An effort to get GNOME and KDE to unify their VFS:s would be
far more benificial,

Than what?  Creating a unified VFS which I can access from Bash,
and which obsoletes both GNOME and KDE's VFSes except in their
presentation?

On one of the platforms that they support, yes.  But only for kernels
newer than 2.6.yy...  So they'd still have to have their own VFS for
2.4.xx, 2.6.xx (xx < yy), FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, etc...

Right.  But, /proc started somewhere, didn't it?

Sun.

I have the feeling that other systems will duplicate it if it's good.

Linux copied here.

So what?

Even if they don't, it would be more beneficial to me

How, exactly?

Besides, /your/ convenience isn't the only thing that matters...

Nor yours. Just because you can't get your mind around a concept doesn't mean that it's a bad concept, and that no one else can use it.

                                                     and probably
most Linux users

"Most Linux users" don't use experimental filesystems at all...

Actually, they do -- ext3 was experimental once. ReiserFS was very experimental once.

Please stop bashing it just because it's new/experimental.

                to have metafs supported in both GNOME and KDE, even
if they still need an emulation layer to support other systems.

So Gnome and KDE get larger (and thus slower) for everybody.

Smaller (and thus faster) on supported systems, otherwise exactly the same, but maybe a little more modular, which is good.

Besides, Gnome
and KDE will have to agree on the formats involved first, which is /exactly/
what is supposed to be impossible unless this stuff is implemented in the
kernel...

I never said that, but for one thing, whether they do or not, it's nice if my shell and my editor and all the other things that I use don't have to agree on anything to manipulate the formats involved.

This is not just about GNOME/KDE. It is about GNOME/KDE not developing an additional layer, that you wouldn't like anyway, that cannot be accessed from anything except GNOME/KDE.