Re: Burning backup to dvd - Last word

On Friday 28 July 2006 13:37, Tony Nelson wrote:
>At 12:51 PM -0400 7/28/06, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
>>>No.  Cdrecord has no knowledge of DVD+Plus, won't list it, and can't
>>>actually burn it.  I suspect that some drives attempt to translate
>>> DVD-Dash commands to burn Plus media if that's what's in the drive,
>>> which would be why it seems to work in some cases.
>>
>>Which probably goes a long way toward explaining the occasional failure
>>I've had.  I have both types of media on the shelf ATM.
>>
>>>Growisofs does know about DVD+Plus.  For Plus media one should use
>>>growisofs and not cdrecord.
>>
>>Ok, I'll buy that, but where do we configure k3b to guarantee that?

>I don't know.  I don't know if k3b can use growisofs at all.  I don't use
>the GUI wrappers for burning CDs or DVDs, as burning seems problematic
>enough that the wrappers cannot be trustworthy.  I use the growisofs
>command line for DVDs, and the cdrecord command line for CDs.  I save the
>commands I've used in a file with some comments, so I can use them again
>later.

Tony;

I've, generally speaking, found k3b to be at least as dependable as the
drive.  This drive has made one cdrom coaster, and 2 dvd coasters in about
250 burns since it went in, and I couldn't begin to duplicate that
performance from the cli.  And its even a long in the tooth version of k3b
nowadays.  k3b-0.11.14, from a kde 3.3.0 build by konstruct. 99% of the
time it Just Works(TM).

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: