Re: Burning backup to dvd - Last word

On Friday 28 July 2006 10:35, Anne Wilson wrote:
>cdrecord -prcap

And I'm getting the same output, totally ignoring the '+' formats from that
commands output here, Anne.

It was said by someone knowledgable on this list, and I can't quote the
message ATM, that ALL drives supposedly cover the + formats, so the prcap
query doesn't specifically ask the drive, or the drive ignores it because
all (is it "orange book"?) drives support those modes.

Perhaps that person can repost that message?

Mine has cheerfully burnt + media several times.

However, I'd have to make the comment that even so-called name branded,
high quality drives today seem only to have a maximum life of 18 months,
and I have had failures of the well thought of LITE-ON drives in as little
as 6 months, with the 3rd one currently living in this machine.  As to
whether my wifes smoking 2-3 packs a day here in the same house but not in
this room may have something to do with that, I've no idea, and I've never
bought a lens cleaner kit.  I probably should based on that.  Probably.
Damn I wish I could get her to stop, emphasema has set in already.  I quit
in the spring 89 and surprisingly to me, have never really missed them. I
was sick of being sick, which is a pretty good motivation.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: