Re: Burning backup to dvd - Last word

At 3:35 PM +0100 7/28/06, Anne Wilson wrote:

>On Friday 28 July 2006 15:13, Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> > I realise now that the disk that did burn correctly was not a DVD-R, but
>> > a DVD+R.  Previously the drive had burned either type.  I have tried
>> > several -R and -RW disks in k3b, and k3b did not recognise any of them.
>> > (The one that apparently burned from cdrecord/command-line yet could not
>> > be read is a separate mystery.)  I have now burned another backup onto a
>> > DVD-RW disk.
>> >
>That should have said 'onto a DVD+RW' disk.  Sorry, it was very late by then.
>
>> > So, it seems that either k3b, cdrecord, or the drive, no longer will
>> > accept -R or 0RW disks.
>or -RW disks.
>>
>> cdrecord -prcap
>>.
>> will display all this informaation on the capabilities of your DVD
>> drive.
>>
>That's very interesting.  It says that the drive can burn DVDs up to 6x.  The
>only format of DVD that it claims to write is DVD-R - the very one that was
>giving me problems.  DVD+R and DVD+RW are not mentioned at all.  The drive
>must be older than I thought!

No.  Cdrecord has no knowledge of DVD+Plus, won't list it, and can't
actually burn it.  I suspect that some drives attempt to translate DVD-Dash
commands to burn Plus media if that's what's in the drive, which would be
why it seems to work in some cases.

Growisofs does know about DVD+Plus.  For Plus media one should use
growisofs and not cdrecord.

>It looks as though most drives offered now are double-layer.  I presume that
>they are generally supported?  I don't see myself writing double-layer for
>some time :-)

Most current drives are double-layer, and growisofs supports them.  Be
careful what you pick up, though, as stores often have a mix of brand new
and years-old drives.  Look at the date on the drive.  Plan on updating its
bios when you get it home.