Re: Tomcat setup

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 09:05 -0700, Ryan Ollerenshaw wrote:
> I am attempting to run tomcat on Fedora Core 5 but I have not been able to find
> much of any documentation on how to set it up.  I did find several pages that
> stated that the setup was very trivial and would not be covered.   Not so much
> the case for me.   Here is what I have found and what I have done so far
>
> -Install  j2sdk1.4.2_12
> -Set JAVA_HOME environment variable
> -Execute the command: /etc/tomcat5/bin/startup.sh
> And I get:
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /etc/tomcat5/
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /etc/tomcat5/
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /etc/tomcat5//temp
> Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_12
>
> Browse to http://myservername:8080/
>
> After that I get nothing but a blank page. Is there something else in the setup
> process that I am missing?

Hi Ryan,

I think you may have a iptables issue here. Can you run the following
first and paste the results in your reply:

netstat -an | grep 8080

tail -20 /etc/tomcat/logs/catalina.out
(not sure if the log file is still in the above directory path, it has
been a very long while since I installed and used Tomcat)

The first command will tell you if Tomcat is running, while the second
command will show you the last 20 lines of the Tomcat log. If there are
problems starting up, the errors will show in the file catalina.out.

BTW, the installation of Tomcat *is* trivial -- just download and unpack
the tarball. It is the configuration that will have you tearing (any)
hair (you have left) out!

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur