Tomcat setup

I am attempting to run tomcat on Fedora Core 5 but I have not been able to find
much of any documentation on how to set it up.  I did find several pages that
stated that the setup was very trivial and would not be covered.   Not so much
the case for me.   Here is what I have found and what I have done so far

-Install  j2sdk1.4.2_12
-Set JAVA_HOME environment variable
-Execute the command: /etc/tomcat5/bin/startup.sh
And I get:
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /etc/tomcat5/
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /etc/tomcat5/
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /etc/tomcat5//temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_12

Browse to http://myservername:8080/

After that I get nothing but a blank page. Is there something else in the setup
process that I am missing?

Thank you for any help you can provide