Re: can an access point connect through an access point?

Claude Jones wrote:

I'm afraid there's still a lack of clarity, here. The router is my FC4 box. The external NIC of my FC4 box is connected to my internet connection. The internal NIC is connected to my D-Link AP. Off in other parts of the house are several machines, connecting to that AP via their wireless NIC devices. Now, one of those distant machines is an old Win98 box, which is using a USB wireless NIC made by Microsoft, to connect to the AP hanging off the inside NIC of my Fedora box. That Microsoft USB wireless NIC is what we're trying to replace. I was trying to hook up/configure another D-Link AP to act as a wireless NIC from that Win98 computer, and I'm pretty sure now that it won't work, though I'm still not completely clear what you're doing with your two D-Link routers - BUT, neither of my D-Link devices are routers, they are just AP's - My router is the Fedora computer. Machines throughout the house communicate with the AP on my Fedora Box, and Fedora is configured to provide DHCP to those machines, and to route traffic from them through the Fedora box to its external NIC which is connected to the internet...

ASCII art!

        External          Bridge         -> Other Wireless ->
           +----+        +-------+      /               +-----+
(I'net) ---+ PC +--------+ Dlink + -( -> Wireless -> )--+ W95 +
               Internal     AP           ->
        <- Router ->

Sorry I can't help you with the D-Links, I'm not familiar with
them. It did sound like the Point-Multipoint bridging may be of
interest with the second D-Link setup as a point-point bridge
(not pictured).

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site