can an access point connect through an access point?

Is it possible to have two access points on a network? I'm trying to use a
D-Link G700AP as a substitute for a WIFI card. Maybe it can't be done and I'm
wasting my time.

Topology is: Wireless broadband comes into my house through radio; radio has a
LAN port which connects to my WAN nic; my LAN nic is connected to a D-Link
G700AP - various PC's throughout my house connect via WIFI to this AP, and
all works well.

For reasons not worth going into in great detail, I'm trying to replace one
connection from a remote PC, which is using a Microsoft wireless USB device
that is useless in a Linux environment; I have this second D-Link G700AP, and
I was hoping it could be used in place of the Microsoft device.

I've set the SSID on the secondary AP to the same value as the one on my
primary access point.
I've assigned it a unique address in the same subnet as the first AP.
I've set my primary AP address as the gateway for the secondary one.

>From my machine connected to the secondary AP by cat5 cable, I can ping that
AP, so the connection there is fine. But, I can't ping the primary AP.
Channels are the same, encryption is turned off on both. Am I engaged in a
fallacy of composition, or can this be done?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA