Re: can an access point connect through an access point?

On Sun January 29 2006 1:51 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> After trying to follow this thread, I'm thoroughly confused, so I'm not
> surprised you are too.  Let me ask you one simple question -
>
> Do you want the computers that access the second AP to be on the same
> network as the ones accessing the first AP?
>
> If the answer is that you want them all to act as though they were all
> addressing one single router, then the advice I gave you stands.  It's
> easy and efficient.
>
> If you actually want them to be on separate networks for some reason,
> then you have to go down the bridging route (no pun intended).
I'm afraid there's still a lack of clarity, here. The router is my FC4 box.
The external NIC of my FC4 box is connected to my internet connection. The
internal NIC is connected to my D-Link AP.  Off in other parts of the house
are several machines, connecting to that AP via their wireless NIC devices.

Now, one of those distant machines is an old Win98 box, which is using a USB
wireless NIC made by Microsoft, to connect to the AP hanging off the inside
NIC of my Fedora box.

That Microsoft USB wireless NIC is what we're trying to replace. I was trying
to hook up/configure another D-Link AP to act as a wireless NIC from that
Win98 computer, and I'm pretty sure now that it won't work, though I'm still
not completely clear what you're doing with your two D-Link routers - BUT,
neither of my D-Link devices are routers, they are just AP's - My router is
the Fedora computer. Machines throughout the house communicate with the AP on
my Fedora Box, and Fedora is configured to provide DHCP to those machines,
and to route traffic from them through the Fedora box to its external NIC
which is connected to the internet...
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA