Re: NTP syncing

Mike McMullen wrote:
Here is the contents of my ntp.conf file:

# Prohibit general access to this service.
restrict default ignore
#restrict 66.187.233.4 mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery

# Permit all access over the loopback interface.  This could
# be tightened as well, but to do so would effect some of
# the administrative functions.
restrict 127.0.0.1

# --- OUR TIMESERVERS -----
# or remove the default restrict line
# Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not
# permit the source to query or modify the service on this system.

# restrict mytrustedtimeserverip mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
# server mytrustedtimeserverip

You need to add lines here:

restrict time.nist.gov      mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
restrict ns.arc.nasa.gov    mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
restrict tick.usno.navy.mil mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery

# --- GENERAL CONFIGURATION ---
#
# Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for backup
# and when no outside source of synchronized time is available. The
# default stratum is usually 3, but in this case we elect to use stratum
# 0. Since the server line does not have the prefer keyword, this driver
# is never used for synchronization, unless no other other
# synchronization source is available. In case the local host is
# controlled by some external source, such as an external oscillator or
# another protocol, the prefer keyword would cause the local host to
# disregard all other synchronization sources, unless the kernel
# modifications are in use and declare an unsynchronized condition.
#

server  time.nist.gov prefer
server  ns.arc.nasa.gov prefer
server  tick.usno.navy.mil prefer