Re: Problems after upgrading to F14

On 03/29/2011 12:36 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 12:18 PM, JD wrote:
>> Which init level?
>> I said I rebooted into single user mode!!
>> If you do not know how to do that, you need to read the wiki.
> Instead of getting hysterical and trying (unsuccessfully) to insult me,
> you might have noticed that I mentioned both init 1 and init 3.  The
> reason I wanted to confirm which init level you were really in is
> because I couldn't be sure that *you* knew the difference.  I've seen,
> both here and at fedoraforum.org, enough posts from people who thought
> that a CLI was "single user mode" that I don't assume that an unknown
> poster really was in init 1 without checking.
>
> Now that we know that, the question becomes, "Why use single user mode
> for a yum update?"  You could either have booted into text mode (init 3)
> or used Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a CLI after a normal boot, logged in as
> root and done the update there.  Or, easiest of all, done a normal boot,
> logged in, started a terminal and used su.  So: "Why use single user mode?"
I am neither hysterical nor insulting.
I merely thought that since you did not know that one
can boot directly into single user mode, (i.e. without
booting into the normal level 5, and then using a shell
terminal to "sudo init s"), I thought you are probably
a newbie, and thus suggested you read the wiki.
Why is that an insult?
And no, I did not do anything as you say in your
second paragraph.
So, keep you from guessing, please read
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/grub-boot-into-single-user-mode/

Cheers,