Re: Brasero to create video DVD?

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 00:14 -0400, Alex wrote:
> you can use brasero to create an ISO from an AVI that can then be
> played on a standard DVD player. "Create a video DVD", then burn the
> resulting ISO to a DVD.
>
> At least that's the way it's supposed to work, but it frequently
> crashes while creating the DVD for some unknown reason, which is why I
> was investigating an alternative in the first place.

I don't know about the current version, but the old version has this in
its manual:

  Video project

    * Brasero Manual V2.1
    * Creating a New Project

	This project lets you take video files (files with extension
	like .mpg, .mpeg or .avi to name a few) and burn them to disc to
        create video DVDs, SVCDs or VCDs that you can watch with normal
        DVD/CD players.

	    In order to use all the potential of the video project, you
	    need to install all GStreamer's plugins, ffmpeg, vcdimager
            and dvdauthor.

So, I'd guess you need to check that you've got the needed plugins, and
that there's not a problem with them.  One might presume that if you can
use Gstreamer's plugins to play the file, it might be working.

Often, running a program by calling it from the command line is more
informative about why a program crashed, than from the GUI.  You usually
get to see some error reports.  There are other programs, like strace,
you can call the program through, to see what else it's trying to load.
Though you have to be careful interpreting such results, as programs
often try to load things that aren't mandatory, but useful, and they'll
show up as errors, but they won't be showstoppers.

One showstopper for some DVD creating (any type of DVD) is running out
of temporary file space.  Many will try to generate the image that
they're going to burn in /tmp, so /tmp needs to be able fit several
gigabytes.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686