Re: Reinstall sound on fc14?

Hi,

> I still think it might only be a configuration error.  In order to load
> the driver, the sound device had to be queried, *and* had to respond,
> and respond correctly, in order for the proper driver module to load,
> which it did.

Okay, I took the soundblaster card out and re-enabled the onboard
audio to try again. There's nothing in the manual about enabling or
disabling audio with a jumper or something similar on the motherboard,
but it did seem to indicate that it was a RealTek audio chip, not an
Intel, which is what I thought it was:

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7585
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
        I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
        Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
        Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

Maybe it's loading the wrong driver?

> Sorry, did it from memory and has been a while since I messed with the
> sound system stuff.  alsa-plugins-pulseaudio is the package.
>
> For future reference you can do something like
> yum search pulseaudio
> or
> yum search alsa | grep pulseaudio
> to find packages that are about those.  Teach a man to fish, and all
> that.

Yes, I know about that, but it's that I didn't know what should be
there and what shouldn't in the first place, so grepping for missing
packages when I didn't know what should be there in the first place...

>> > What happens if you play something with
>> > aplay -v -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav
>> > which goes directly through alsa.
>>
>> Silence, although all the visual meters seem to indicate sound is
>> actually playing.
>
> Even though the hardware fixed it, this still seems to be a
> configuration error, unless only part of the sound chip is bad.  Are
> there any pin connections on the MB that need to be made in order to
> activate sound? They would be described in the manual that came with
> the MB. Because it is a different MB, and might have been a return,
> someone could have messed with the factory defaults, and turned off
> sound by removing the pin connector that turns it on. Maybe it was never
> installed.  Or maybe a solder connection to line out is not working
> because it is cracked.    Maybe sound is turned off in the BIOS?

No, both motherboards were mine to begin with. I had set up one for
him, but he had a flood in his basement which corroded the
motherboard, so I replaced it with an identical MSI MS-7025
single-core 64bit Athlon 3500+ board. I don't think the new one was
ever used as a desktop, so sound may never have worked on it since it
was purchased, for all I remember.

I also reset the BIOS to defaults, and verified sound was enabled --
we wouldn't have made it this far otherwise.

> You could check after looking in the BIOS and on the motherboard,by
> using
> aplay -Dplughw:1,0 some.wav
> While it is playing gently manipulate the lineout connection to see if
> contact is made by slight shift (sound should start).

Tried that, and it's still just dead. Tried through speakers that were
confirmed to be working. I've got to give him back his computer now,
so will probably just put the SB16 back into the box and close it up.
Sure appreciate your help; it's tough to leave this problem unresolved
fully, but I think this is an okay solution for now.

Thanks again,
Alex