Reinstall sound on fc14?

Hi,

I have an fc14 desktop with all updates that sound has stopped
working. When going to Preferences->Sound it just says "waiting for
sound system to respond". I've been working on this for a few hours
now, and I think something I did caused this to happen. This all
started after an upgrade from fc13 to fc14.

Is it possible to just reinstall and have it reconfigure the sound
system? I'm not sure what the difference is between alsa and
pulseaudio, and I think there may be some kind of conflict there. I've
done all the obvious stuff, like ensure the modules are loaded, the
sound card is detected, and have tried to reinstall various pulseaudio
and alsa applications with no success.

Here is some information about my system:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CK8S           ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK8S
                      NVidia CK8S with ALC850 at irq 22

# lspci -v
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7585
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
        I/O ports at a800 [size=256]
        I/O ports at ac00 [size=128]
        Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
        Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

When I run alsamixer it detects the card and there are no obvious
problems. All the levels are at least 50% or higher, and nothing is
muted.

# ps ax|grep pulse
 2098 ?        S<sl   0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog

I also don't see any errors or other messages regarding pulseaudio in syslog.

At one point pavucontrol would start, but it only showed the "internal
audio controller". I guess that is some kind of dummy device?

What do I do next?

Thanks,
Alex