Re: Reinstall sound on fc14?

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:52:13 -0400
Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it possible to just reinstall and have it reconfigure the sound
> system?

That seems a little drastic.

> I'm not sure what the difference is between alsa and
> pulseaudio, and I think there may be some kind of conflict there. I've
> done all the obvious stuff, like ensure the modules are loaded, the
> sound card is detected, and have tried to reinstall various pulseaudio
> and alsa applications with no success.

alsa is the interface to sound devices.  It talks to the actual drivers
in the kernel, indeed includes those drivers, and pushes bits in and
out.  Pulseaudio sits on top of alsa and presents a friendlier face to
the sound devices, among other things.

> Here is some information about my system:
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [CK8S           ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK8S
>                       NVidia CK8S with ALC850 at irq 22
>
> # lspci -v
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
> AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
>         Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7585
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
>         I/O ports at a800 [size=256]
>         I/O ports at ac00 [size=128]
>         Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>         Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
>         Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

This is all OK.

> When I run alsamixer it detects the card and there are no obvious
> problems. All the levels are at least 50% or higher, and nothing is
> muted.

The fact that you are able to use alsamixer without specifying a sound
device is suspicious.  When pulseaudio is working, the command has to
include the device, like
alsamixer -c0
in your case.  That it isn't necessary suggests pulseaudio is turned
off.

> # ps ax|grep pulse
>  2098 ?        S<sl   0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start
> --log-target=syslog
>
> I also don't see any errors or other messages regarding pulseaudio in
> syslog.
>
> At one point pavucontrol would start, but it only showed the "internal
> audio controller". I guess that is some kind of dummy device?

The internal audio controller is the onboard chip.  This is probably
the CK8S.

> What do I do next?

Check pavucontrol, last tab and make sure that the onboard controller
is turned on for stereo input and output.

Check all your plugs, though that is an unlikely problem if it suddenly
stopped working.

Did the sound ever work after the upgrade?

Do you get system sounds?

Did you uninstall alsa-pulseaudio, the configuration that makes pulse
the default for alsa playback?

What happens if you play something with
aplay -v -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav
which goes directly through alsa.

>From the information you've posted, everything should be working fine.
So as you have surmised, it is a configuration issue.