Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 09:47 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Back when I started using Unix (1975!) the case-sensitivity was one of
> the things that made me love it. Of course that was when pretty much
> every other system only had UPPER CASE (not to mention filenames with
> 6 alphanumeric characters and a three-character extension).

A file system that accommodates the use of both cases isn't the same
thing as being case sensitive.

Back when I was using ye olde Amiga, it was nice to be able to name
files almost how you liked (including being able to name a file with an
asterisk or backslash in it, just to confound a poor hapless Windows
user you sent the file to it).  But the handling of almost all filenames
was case insensitive.  And, generally, that's how most people want to
treat file names.

i.e. After listing the directory, and seeing README.TEXT in there, *we*
see readme.text, and would like the computer to accept us calling it
that.

> Anyway I like it and I don't want it to change *most of the time*. I
> do however find myself using "grep -i" rather a lot, and I wish
> similar conventions existed in other tools.

And therein lay the main thrust of this argument.  We find ourselves
forever hitting the problem of case sensitivity, and working around it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.