Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 22:19 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 08:17 -0200, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> >
> > Does Red Hat allow two packages with the same name, but different
> > capitalization?. I rest my case.
>
> I can't say that I've ever seen any valid reason for filename case
> sensitivity.  Yes, I know it's easier for file/pattern matching to treat
> every letter differently, including casing.  But that's hardly a
> justification for wanting case sensitive file systems.

Back when I started using Unix (1975!) the case-sensitivity was one of
the things that made me love it. Of course that was when pretty much
every other system only had UPPER CASE (not to mention filenames with 6
alphanumeric characters and a three-character extension).

Anyway I like it and I don't want it to change *most of the time*. I do
however find myself using "grep -i" rather a lot, and I wish similar
conventions existed in other tools. If for example rpm had a
"case-insensitive" flag (can't be '-i' because it's taken), a certain
amount of frustration might be saved.

poc