Re: fc14 upgrade fails, system now in partially-upgraded state...

> On 03/07/2011 03:10 PM, Alex wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I think this may be my next effort. I'll see if I can identify which
> > packages may be causing a problem.
> >
> > Is there a way to find out the full 1240 list of packages it said
> > initially needed to be updated? Couldn't I then use rpm to force
> > them to install?

Not a good idea to force install things, particularly at upgrade.  Good
way to hose your system.

I think you've got good advice in this thread.  I've done upgrades
using yum instead of preupgrade, and what they are telling you to do
worked for me also.  Whenever I hit a package that wouldn't upgrade
because it had problems, I cut and pasted the name into a file for
later install, and then used yum to remove it.  These are usually
obscure packages, so they don't tend to pull a lot of dependencies.  If
they do, and the dependencies aren't critical to system function, I cut
and paste their names into the file also, remove them with yum, and make
them part of the reinstall.  I have yet to run into anything that was
critical to system functionality using this method.

When you do your yum upgrade do something like
yum upgrade -y  a\* > yum_output 2> yum_errors

Then the packages that are causing the errors are usually in the
yum_errors file.  And you can monitor what is happening.  You might
turn up yum error reporting from 2 to 6 or so in the /etc/yum.conf file
to get more feedback about what is going on too.

Don't turn off your system until you have completed the upgrade or you
might be left in an unbootable state.  e.g. libc not updated, though
the kernel is, or something like that.

I've never failed to complete an upgrade using these methods, though
lately I just do a separate fresh install on a different partition and
migrate over.