Re: fc14 upgrade fails, system now in partially-upgraded state...

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 14:31:41 -0500,
  Lamar Owen <lowen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While you've been given the advice to reinstall, much like a Windows system, there is one other utility you can try first, if you haven't completely blown out the yum transaction, that is.
>
> yum install yum-utils
> yum-complete-transaction

This should have a good shot. Though some other hand cleanup might be needed.

> Another possibility is to run package-cleanup --dupes to list the duplicates, an rpm -aq to list all packages, edit out the dupes, then manually install the needed rpms to upgrade from the DVD.  Good luck.

That may have issues if the f14 packages need something that wasn't installed
yet. Doing a yum downgrade with releasever set to 13 might get you back to
where you were before the upgrade attempt.

I have done a number of yum upgrades to go between Fedora releases that were
done part at a time. (Sometimes because of not a enough free space on /;
sometimes because of broken or missing obsoletes or retired packages without
replacements and sometimes because something went wrong part way though
the update.) So far I have always been able to keep going forward and complete
the update. Sometimes you may need to remove some packages that are blocking
updates but are not properly replaced in the next release. Finding those
can be tricky when a big transaction is failing, but you can usually get
some clues. Also you can update smaller groups of packages at once to try
to work around the problem or make it easier to figure out what is blocking
the transaction.