Re: cmake 2.8.4 (f14 x86_64) :: errors at bootstraping - SOLVED

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Adrian Sevcenco <Adrian.Sevcenco@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/06/11 19:20, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM, stan<gryt2@xxxxx>  wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> I too am running F14 x86_64.  I downloaded the source, unpacked it,
>>> changed to the directory, ran ./configure (which runs ./bootstrap),
>>> and when that completed ran gmake.  Everything compiled just fine.  I
>>> ran the resulting binary without a target and it seemed to run just
>>> fine.  I have accumulated lots of devel packages over the years, though.
>>
>> I think he's talking about cmake, not blender :)
>>
>> The best thing may be to download the source from a source RPM:
>>
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=229248
>>
>> The link is for 2.8.4 for Fedora 15 but I've found you can often take
>> the source RPM and recompile it for your version with little or no
>> issue.
>>
>> The src RPM will have a spec file with all the dependencies listed or
>> you can let yum-builddep handle it for you
>>
>> $ yum-builddep /path/to/src/rpm
>>
>> Then install the rpm as YOUR USER!!! NEVER AS ROOT!!!
>>
>> Source RPMs are not designed to be installed system wide. They will
>> unpack to ~/rpmbuild. I actually use a separate build account so a
>> rogue package doesn't destroy my account.
>>
>> (as you or another unprivileged user)
>> $ rpm -ivh<source rpm>
>>
>> Then try:
>>
>> $ rpmbuild -bb ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/cmake.spec
>>
>> By default this will try to build a binary package for your current
>> distribution (F14) and architecture (x86_64)
>
> Everything worked!
> Thanks!
> Adrian

I'm glad it was easy! If you decide you like building your own
packages I would check out mock[1]. It is a fancy python script which
will build the package in a chroot environment. It makes sure (among
other things) that you have the correct BuildRequires: in the spec
file by installing only those packages in the spec file into the
chroot environment. It downloads and installs all the -devel packages
which can take a while the first time but they are cached for future
builds.

Also, checkout rpmlint[2]. It checks the resultant RPMs for typical
issues and errors. Both are required for formal acceptance of a
package into the Fedora repos.

Richard

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Use_rpmlint