Re: Going from Broadcom's sources to wireless card to WPA network

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:53:41 -0800
"Suresh Govindachar" <sgovindachar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   > You could install the development group, and do it all
>   > within the live CD environment, but that is a pretty big
>   > project also.  And unless you put the result somewhere
>   > permanent, you will lose it when you shut down.
>
>   Since the the Live USB from Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso
>   does not have a compiler (it does have make!), the
>   "development group" to install needs to be pre-compiled.
>   I have room on the internal hard-drive, and I suppose the
>   "development group" can be installed and used from there.
>   The output of a build of broadcom's sources is just a file
>   that needs to be placed elsewhere.  So to set up this
>   "development group" what needs to be downloaded and what
>   needs to be done with the downloaded stuff?  (I now have a
>   wired connection to the internet;  I indicate how I got this
>   below.)

Use
yum install development-group development-libs

These are precompiled binaries, as are all .rpms on Fedora.  You have to
specifically ask for source with another program, yumdownloader from
the yum-utils package, and those are named .src.rpm.

You can see what groups are available with
yum grouplist -v | less

To check other options to yum, look at   man yum   .  That will tell
you how to get a list of individual packages that are available, with
their descriptions.  There are over 20,000, so it can be a little
overwhelming.

[snip]

>   Interesting -- you seem to be saying one can have 5 terminals
>   when one is not booted into the GUI desktop?  I thought that
>   without a GUI desktop, one only had one terminal at 640x480
>   resolution!

Yes, there are these five that are old style serial tty, or emulations
of thereof.  Using the screen application, that can be expanded to many
more.  Install it and do a   man screen   to see all the possibilities.
I like them because there is no X involved, so when things are not
working properly in the GUI, these will normally still work, allowing
research and fixes.

And it is possible to set them to different resolutions.  If you add
vga=0x317 to the kernel line, you will normally get 1024x768 on the
terminal.  With nomodeset, which is what is the default on the modern
Fedoras, the terminals are at the resolution of the GUI.  So if your
GUI is 1920x1280, the terminals will be that as well.  There are ways
to adjust font size on them, and colors, etc.  In the GUI, I normally
use konsole as my terminal, but there are lots of other terminals to
try there.