Re: fc8 upgrade

On 2/24/2011 5:13 AM, Jorgen Lundman wrote:
> Right, so I download the fc14 ISO and try to do a install over the old OS,
> hoping to keep data. The installer does have an option to keep things, the
> second to last option, before custom.
>
> It just notifies me that there are no places to install to, sorry.
>
> I use custom, which at least gives me some clues.

Even way back in Fedora 8, "custom" would be the way to do what you want.
> Apparently I can not install
> to a ext3 filesystem. This seems a really bad decision by someone. Essentially,
> it is just untaring files on an existing fs. To force a certain version seems
> really backwards.
I don't think that's right.  I did a new install to ext3, though I blew away my old partitions (actually, it was a drive formerly occupied by Windows).  It would surely be fine mounting your old ext3 /home partition, and whatever else you wanted.
> It was a major hassle for me, I feel sorry for fresh people trying fc14 for the
> first time. I feel there is room to make some improvements.
Like Ubuntu, Fedora is moving more and more to where it's intended to "just work" out of the box.  How successful it is wooing new users I can't say, but it seems more newbie-friendly than in the past.  But, to do more advanced things, as you desire, requires some homework.   Not sure how much happier you'll be with another distro.

I agree there's room for improvement, as there is with nearly every product.  Not every attempt at improvement receives universal acclaim--I've griped about a few myself-- but I think it's come a long way in usability.

Your inability to do an upgrade through eight versions is not surprising.  What other software would do this without a problem?
> Anyway, I will zfs rollback to my fc8 and install something else.
>
> good luck,

Your call, but I'm sure there are people here who could help you do pretty much everything you want.