RE: random crashes

Tim:
>> It should drain away when unplugged.  But that doesn't happen instantly.
>> And, if the power supply has a fault, it may hold a charge for longer
>> than you might expect.

compdoc:
> You can unplug the power cord and hit the power button on the PC, and it
> will be gone instantly.

As I said, if there's a fault in the power supply, you cannot make any
such assumptions.

> Also, since the PSU circuit board is bolted down to the chassis, so you
> aren't likely to come in contact with any leads from any of the
> capacitors.

You don't have to touch a lead, all you have to do is touch a heatsink,
or other metal part, that's connected to something with high voltage.

Though, why any ordinary person would be fooling around *INSIDE* their
power supply unit, I don't know...  Outside, it's low voltage, since the
AT days of power supplies (older power supplies may have external power
switches for the mains, where it's dead easy to touch the wiring.

> PSUs are not like the old CRT TV sets that stored 50,000 volts or so. Its ok
> to open them and look inside, as long as the power cord is unplugged.

Have you had a 400 volt DC shock?  I have, it's not nice.  Could have
been fatal, under different circumstances.  You don't need a drawn out
shock to cause harm to people with underlying, or unknown, medical
conditions.  Or cause a fall and contact with something else that causes
injury.

Unless you know electronics, unless you're familiar with servicing
equipment that may be faulty (and, therefore not behave in any of the
expected ways), stay out of areas which connect directly to the mains,
even when the power is disconnected, but especially when it is not.

Servicing is a very different kettle of fish than dabbling in
electronics.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686