Re: random crashes

On 2/26/11, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 20:02:26 +0100,
>   Andras Simon <szajmi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The crashes seem to happen more frequently when I'm doing something
>> interactively (even if it's just browsing, running yum). This morning
>> it was running for hours under heavy load with no problems, but
>> crashed a few minutes after I started interacting with it.

It seems I was too eager to find a clue: just now it crashed while I
was away (in the middle of installing a lot of packages).

> That sounds potentially like a video driver issue. If you are using compiz,
> you could try metacity instead as that does less 3D stuff.

No compiz here. And crashes happen without X running.

> Nouveau seems better in F15, but upower tweaks an issue that causes annoying
> screen flashes every 30 seonds and for at least some nVidia cards (including
> an nv28 I have on one machine), the blank period is about 1/2 second.

Back in the summer, I was also suspicious about nouveau, until I tried
the nvidia driver...

> Once the alpha release is out, you might try a live image of it to see if
> that resolves your crashing problem.

In fact I'm planning to try a 32 bit F14 live image first, if I can
keep this thing alive for long enough to write out a cd (this MB
doesn't boot from a usb stick).

Andras