Re: random crashes

--- On Sat, 2/26/11, Andras Simon <szajmi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/26/11, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 20:02:26 +0100,
> >   Andras Simon <szajmi@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> The crashes seem to happen more frequently when
> I'm doing something
> >> interactively (even if it's just browsing, running
> yum). This morning
> >> it was running for hours under heavy load with no
> problems, but
> >> crashed a few minutes after I started interacting
> with it.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Once the alpha release is out, you might try a live
> image of it to see if
> > that resolves your crashing problem.
>
> In fact I'm planning to try a 32 bit F14 live image first,
> if I can
> keep this thing alive for long enough to write out a cd
> (this MB
> doesn't boot from a usb stick).

TO: OP

If you think it's specifically a Fedora problem (I don't), I would install (a real dual boot install--not a LiveCD) distro other than Fedora that has the same versions of kernel, GNOME, etc. to see if the problem persists.  Then try one that has different kernel, etc.

Since this problem has continued over several versions of Fedora, I think it's hardware related.  I had a similar problem with a system years ago:  Periodically, during heavy CPU use, the system "stopped" as if someone had turned it off; however, the MB was still powered as the fans were running and power lights on.  The system was only about 2 years old at the time.  Overheating CPU was my first thought.  Took the system apart and cleaned everything.  It ran for several weeks with no problems, then it happened again.  This behavior continued but more and more frequently for over a year through two versions of Fedora Core (5 and 6).  Then reboots began to stall, even if the system was left off for some time, even overnight. (I was still thinking overheating, but all temps seemed nominal.  Bad thermistor, maybe? Or bad MB.) I had already replaced the power supply and the graphics card.  And done many memtests.  The problem continued with increasing
 frequency. I never had anything in the logs indicative of the problem. Fortunately, the MB, an MSI, IIRC, had LEDs that would indicate the stage of POST during start up. (I had forgotten about this feature.)  I began checking those when booting.  When a reboot failed, POST was always at the CPU check.  I replaced the CPU and the problem never occurred again.  And at 8 years old when I gave it away, the system was still working perfectly.  Food for thought.