Re: fc8 upgrade

Jorgen Lundman wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Senior unix admin, but relatively fresh Linux admin. I run a fc8 box only for
> cross-compiling, as so many toolchains come pre-compiled for it.
>
> However, today I found the need to finally upgrade. This is an account of what I
> went through, and not just meant as a bitch session.
>
> I do not care about the OS, but it would be easier if all my toolchain installs
> and home directory contents remained.
>
> I have a tiny /boot and the rest on a lv / system, setup by a colleague. This
> all runs on xen, but that is not really part of this email.
>
> First I tried to use preupgrade, and I went through all the yum tasks to ensure
> I have the latest version of it and so on.
>
> Then I ran preupgrade, I went straight for fc14. I was told that my /boot was
> too small. Of course it is! Still, it did say something about downloading it
> after reboot. Plus one for fc there.
>
> Rebooting and it gives some obscure error about not finding previous system. Eh?
> Googling and crap, I finally find out how to get at the anaconda logs (it could
> have been mentioned by anaconda i think, instead of just 'error, click here to
> reboot')
>
> In the end it said something about fc8 can not be upgraded. I still do not
> really know why, but google suggests I can not skip versions, I need to go to 9
> first.  preupgraded only lists 10 to 14. I try 10 anyway.
>
> No difference at all. Bugger.
>
> Right, so I download the fc14 ISO and try to do a install over the old OS,
> hoping to keep data. The installer does have an option to keep things, the
> second to last option, before custom.
>
> It just notifies me that there are no places to install to, sorry.
>
> I use custom, which at least gives me some clues. Apparently I can not install
> to a ext3 filesystem. This seems a really bad decision by someone. Essentially,
> it is just untaring files on an existing fs. To force a certain version seems
> really backwards.
>
> I google for how to convert ext3 to ext4, and go through that. 2 hours later I
> am ready to try again.
>
> I return back to the installer, the 4th option still does not work, so i go
> through custom. I manage to convince it to use my / and /boot. It installs, I
> reboot. No warnings about losing data, so I feel confident here.
>
> Upon reboot it has no settings for network, ssh etc. So I go through the GUI to
> set network (I guess I am supposed to use GUI, even though I prefer to reach for
> ifconfig).
>
> I look for a way to start SSH, and there do not appear to be any. Google said to
> use Administration/Services. But that does not exists. Huh, I actually have to
> start a shell to run /sbin/services sshd start. Minus one there.
>
> Only to find that port 22 does not answer. I go through the usual checks to make
> sure it is running, and connects locally. I start the firewall GUI to confirm
> [...]
If you have a toolchain which run in FC8 it's possible that it won't run on a
newer system. If you hardware supports HVM so you can run KVM virtualization, I
would almost think that the easiest way out is to add a drive with FC14, and run
the old system in a VM just to support the toolchain.

Full disclosure: I have a RH8 (no, not FC8) in a VM, because I have an app which
won't compile on recent gcc, and no time or money budget to rewrite and debug a
large program which has been working for years as a static binary.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>