Re: fc8 upgrade

On 02/26/2011 05:18 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> If you have a toolchain which run in FC8 it's possible that it won't run on a
> newer system. If you hardware supports HVM so you can run KVM virtualization, I
> would almost think that the easiest way out is to add a drive with FC14, and run
> the old system in a VM just to support the toolchain.
>
> Full disclosure: I have a RH8 (no, not FC8) in a VM, because I have an app which
> won't compile on recent gcc, and no time or money budget to rewrite and debug a
> large program which has been working for years as a static binary.

I see your RH8 in a VM and raise a RH7.2 in a VM. :-)
For an Internet facing service, nonetheless!

The only exposed service daemon is obviously kept updated, so I rebuild
the RPM for RH7.2 on a second VM.

Why am I not upgrading the distro?
It has been running perfectly for years, with only 128MiB virtual RAM.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it