Re: Fedora 14 USB Mouse Problem

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:24:06AM -0800, john wendel wrote:
> I just installed Fedora 14 LXDE on an old laptop, that had been running
> Fedora 10. Everything is fine except for the Microsoft USB wireless
> mouse, which worked fine under Fedora 10. The mouse is detected, but it
> doesn't move correctly (jerky and confined to a small area of the
> screen). I tried a wired USB mouse and it works fine.
>
> Any clues will be appreciated.

John:

I have a MS Wireless Notebook Optial Mouse 3000 that I've been using
for over 2 years on my eeepc, which has run Fedora 10, 11, 12, 13,
and now 14 (but always the gnome edition) and I don't, generally,
have that kind of trouble.

having said that, it IS sensitive to both distance between the mouse
and usb dongle, as well as objects blocking the direct path.

for example, at my desk at home, the eeepc goes to the left of my
desktop's keyboard while the mouse goes to the right. the keyboard seems
to cause a 'shadow' between the two, which causes intermittent results
in moving and clicking. if I move the keyboard a few inches so it isn't
in the direct line, it works fine. I've seen the same thing if I put
the usb dongle into the left side USB port while the mouse is on the
right, as if the computer itself is obstructing the signal.

so, when I'm at home, I have a short usb cable that I plug into the
eeepc and put the dongle into the other end thereof, and place
it near the mousepad on the right.

I've seen the same behavior with this mouse on another laptop I
sometimes use (windoze), butwhen using a similarly small logitech
wireless notebook mouse it isn't a problem.

I take that to mean there may be a weaker signal between the dongle and
the mouse when using the MS mouse/dongle than when using the Logitech.

Or you may want to try replacing the battery/ies in the mouse to see if
that helps.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------