Re: why is /var/spool/cups so huge?

On 02/13/2011 03:03 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:10:53 -0600 Bill Davidsen<davidsen@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Robert Nichols wrote:

>>> Sounds like you're keeping the control files for every job ever printed.
>>> Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add or change a line to set MaxJobs to some
>>> reasonable number.  I use "MaxJobs 100" -- unlikely I'll ever want to see
>>> more job history than that.
>>>
>> Thanks, that's one of the better ideas I seen on the subject. I confess I would
>> like to have an easy way to scale that to keep 2-3 days of history regardless of
>> count, but for anything but a print server a fixed count is the right answer.
>>

> Thanks very much, all! There is no printer attached to this machine
> anymore so I am not sure where this comes from. (there was a printer
> attached briefly for which F went and found the drivers to install,
> however.) In any case, when does this clear? Is there something I have
> to do beyond putting the line in which I have done (a few hours ago)
> now.

The outdated files should get cleaned up the next time you schedule a
print job.  With no local printer, you presumably have either a network
printer or a print server for your jobs.  You can always stop CUPS and
clean out that directory yourself.  Don't delete the tmp directory, but
you can safely remove all of the ordinary files in /var/spool/cups and
/var/spool/cups/tmp.

                 Do NOT delete it.