Re: Is there a better Alternative to Thunderbird ?

On 02/03/2011 11:33 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 02/03/2011 03:05 PM, g wrote:
>> *anytime* a 'folder file' is edited, *or* a '.msf' file is deleted, the
>> 'panacea.dat' file in 'profile' directory *must* be deleted also.
>
> Huh, didn't know that.. I've deleted .msf files a few times in the past
> without touching panacea.dat and so far it worked out okay

just why are you deleting a '.msf' file?

have you gone back and looked thru old emails in those folders?

i admit, you *may not* have problems, if nothing has been done to
'folder file'. but you are taking a chance.

if a '.msf' file gets corrupt, 'panacea.dat' will also get corrupted.

the "*must*" is to help prevent corruption of the 'folder file'.

a tip to find one of the corruptions that can happen, select sort order,
in turn, on the 'Subject', 'Recipient', 'From', 'Date' columns. move
scroll bar to top row. do you have blanks?

when you select 'Subject' column and all that shows is the 'Date' column,
you have a header that may well have a line space just after the
"X-Mozilla-Keys:" label that needs to be removed.

opening such emails will show you line after where the line space is.

this does not apply to emails with a blank/missing 'Subject:' label. if
such emails do not have a line space in header, 'Recipient' and 'From'
entries will show.

using <ctrl+u> will show you source of email and you will see if there
are line spaces in header. do be aware of line wrap spacing.

> When the folder is opened, Thunderbird takes some time to rebuild the
> index (how long depends on number of messages in the folder)

this is true. thunderbird is rebuilding the '.mst' file and updating
the 'panacea.dat' file.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,