Re: SELinux

On 21/01/2011 02:51 πμ, Tim wrote:

>  For the average user, it shouldn't be a problem. It shouldn't really
>  be noticeable, unless they're doing something stupid with their
>  computer.

Agreed . Well to be honest it felt kind of awkward this  whole thing
with Acrobat Reader , as i had no idea where this execstack stuff
came from .  But the thing is that the average user ( myself included )
does things that can be considered stupid by a more knowledgeable
user , as the average user is unaware that what he is trying to do is
stupid ( ok maybe running "rm -f * ", on root directory as root user
would be an understandable error by everyone ) .

>  Umm, you're making us pay for your mess...

Well there is a big IF here . IF i create a mess ( if we consider the very
subject with which this thread was started , i wasn´t ).

>  You seem to be ignoring the point that others, who know much more
>  about it than you, have put a lot of effort into making a system much
>  more robust (against maliciousness, or stupidity). I get the feeling
>  that you're another of those that might go to the doctors, tell him
>  "I hurts when I do this," and completely ignore his, "well, don't do
>  that," advice.

A bit wrong . If  i know that something is wrong from the beginning then
i just don´t do it . If i don´t know that what am doing is going to cause
problems to others it´s  quite possible that i will do it . Well
basically if
i had to rephrase i would just say this . A desktop computer which runs
at home
doesn´t necessarily need  all the security restrictions that a computer
in a company
needs . It should allow the "end user" to do things that other computers
don´t have to
do . For example an SMTP server doesn´t need to have a pdf viewer at all
, or mplayer ,
or any multimedia software open source or otherwise since there is no
use for it . A
desktop computer though may have multimedia software and other stuff
that a server
doesn´t need . To that effect also an SMTP server works with different
ports than a Web
Server and has different needs  .