Re: CHECKSUM is not easily accessible on Fedora Download Page

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 11:53 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > Proposal -
> >
> > Mockup:
> > http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/webdesign/fedoraproject.org/verify/verify.png
>
> Shouldn't the teddy bears be penguins? :-).
>
> On a more serious note: A lot of people (me for sure) like to know
> what they are getting into before they just blindly download something.
> I'd rather be able to read the instructions ahead of time instead
> of only discovering them after I complete the download.

The instructions are also available along the sidebar on every download
page:

http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

(See "What will I need?" and "What Do I do?" - there's also a link to
verify there as well)

We thought having those instructions in the splash page in addition was
important, because one of the more prominent complaints we received in
our usability testing and community feedback process for the website is
that it took too many clicks to get to a download. So we added a
download now button to the front page, but since that goes directly to
the download there isn't much opportunity to provide instructions. The
splash is that opportunity.

That being said, you do *not* need to complete the download before you
can read the instructions. They are easily read on the splash page
before you decide to download the ISO at all. Try it now. You can simply
hit cancel on the download dialog that your web browser pops up, or move
it to the side to read the text before hitting 'Save.'

~m