Re: CHECKSUM is not easily accessible on Fedora Download Page

Hi Armelius,

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 12:39 -0500, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> Hello,
> I know Fedora try to be more user friendly, and the website design that points
> to the various download options reflects that. But I think one signficant thing
> is missing: the CHECKSUM file is not easily accesible. How can a novice user
> know how to check that his/her download is correct and not corrupted ?

>From talking to numerous novice users in the design of the site I'm not
convinced that a checksum file is something that novice users are aware
of or much concerned about. The main download link points directly to
Fedora's main server, not a mirror, so they'd be downloading the
checksum from the same source as the payload anyway. When you burn the
iso to media it has a built-in media check as well which would protect
against corruption (although in observing user installs, I've found a
lot of folks simply skip that as well.)

> Following the link to get fedora from the main page, I ended on this page:
> http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#formats
> Since I want to get the full DVD install, I follow the link to:
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-14-
> x86_64-DVD.iso
>
> That goes to a page that tells me that the download would start shortly (and
> it did), but no information about how to check the correctness of the
> downloaded file.
>
> There's this box that says: "What should I do with this ISO file?" and a link
> to instruction. The second page on the instruction ask to "Verify the
> download", but again, no link to point to the CHECKSUM, or how to even verify
> the download.

There is a link to 'Verify download' on every one of the download pages
in the right-hand column. That being said, it doesn't appear on the
post-download splash and we would be happy to consider adding a link to
the verify page (https://fedoraproject.org/en/verify ).

> Sure, I can figure out just fine that I can browse the download directory
> manually, get the CHECKSUM, and verify it with 'sha256sum' utility. But how
> about Aunt Tillie ? How about people who uses Windows to download and may not
> have the utility handy ? should there be at least a link to the CHECKSUM file,
> or even just display the hash there on the download page, and a quick
> instruction on how to check the download ?

I need to point out that I'm not happy about women being used as
examples of novice users. Again though, 'Uncle Bob' likely doesn't know
or care about checksums.

~m