Re: Ultimate inkjet printer for Fedora?

On 01/13/2011 03:56 PM, valent.turkovic@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Cheapest colour lasers are more than 200% more expensive than high
> quality inkjet printers and have no option to print to CD/DVD media
> and duplex option is an expensive addon. Maybe for some it colour
> laser is an acceptable device to buy but not for us, because or its
> price and because of features it lacks.
While you are absolutely correct, but you have to also look at the cost
of the cartridges. While the laser toners are relatively expensive, they
tend to print about 10,000 pages (depending on brand et. al). The yield
on ink jet cartridges varies widely, but it is generally hundreds of
pages. Generally you can get good third party toners for roughly 1/3 of
what an HP toner costs, but I've had one bad toner in a ColorLaserjet
4700 so at work we buy HP only, but at home I have an HP4500N, and third
party toners work very well.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix