Re: computer-center-extra is no longer with us in F14

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 21:55 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:34:05 -0500, Matthew wrote:
>
> > The facility System->Preferences->Windows that used to be provided in
> > control-center-extras is now provided in control-center.  If you run it
> > with Desktop Effects enabled, it produces an error.
> >
> > The option to choose a window when you move the mouse over it *is*
> > available when using Compiz--I'm doing it right now.  The ability to set
> > that option via System->Preferences->Windows when using Compiz is not
> > available, but it can be set by (1) turning off Desktop Effects; (2)
> > setting the option in System->Preferences->Windows; and (3) turning on
> > Desktop Effects.
>
> Does not work here with F14. When desktop effects are off, my default is
> to raise windows with mouse-over. Switching on desktop effects disables
> the feature again. Your trick doesn't help.

OK I stand corrected.

> With F13 on the contrary, System->Preferences->Windows does work.

Ah, so on my machines, I installed F14 by preupgrade and my home configs
are left over from F13.

> However, that may be a bug (or even expected) in F14 and not related to
> NOT putting the gnome-window-properties tool in a subpackage.
>
> > Nevertheless, it seems like a bug that that can't be changed with
> > Desktop Effects on.
>
> One might need to find out why the tool had been dropped completely
> during F14 development and whether maybe it returned in a crippled form?

Another message  in the thread cites the Bugzilla entry.

Also, I suddenly noticed that pushing the mouse cursor into the
upper-right corner of the display no longer seems to tile the windows in
the current workspace.  I'm sure it used to, not long ago.  That's the
main reason I like Desktop Effects anyway.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu