Re: I'm asking help for my project - If you're interested get contacted with me

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 16:10 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Thursday 06 January 2011 11:39:13 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Furthermore, I conjecture from contextual clues that the OP is Portugese
> > or Brazilian. I'm pretty sure that if he had written the exact same text
> > in Portugese the ambiguity would have remained. It's not a question of
> > language but of clarity of expression.
>
> I'm curious, on what exactly did you base that conjecture about OP's
> nationality? AFAICT, Zoltan Hoppar is more likely to be a Hungarian name than
> a Portugese one.

He mentions a Brazilian musician and cc's the message to a Portugese
address.

> Also, after living in Lisbon for two years now, my experience is that
> virtually *all* Portugese people --- of those who speak English at all ---
> speak it in a grammatically very correct way, without any noticable mistakes.
> The same goes for Brasilians as well, although I admit I have managed to talk
> only with a modest number of them, 10-15 or so.

I said nothing about grammar. In fact my point was precisely that the
issue is not one of language but of clarity of expression. Plenty of
native English speakers on this list and elsewhere seem unable to state
clearly what they mean, but that's getting somewhat OT.

> OTOH, Spanish folks seem to fight with English much more, with noticable errors
> in both grammar and pronounciation. ;-) At least that's my experience.

I live in a Spanish-speaking country so I would have to agree with that,
though with exceptions of course.

poc